After watching David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan take the Rotsun to the 24 Hours of LeMons on a 2015 Roadkill episode , I hatched a plan with 3 friends to build a car and compete, Rot Rocket Racing team was born.
The 24 Hours of LeMons is a budget racing series for cars under $500. You build your car to race safety standards and apply a theme. We decided to spoof Roadkill's 1968 Dodge Challenger "The General Mayhem".
We were featured in the Lemons race recap video after winning an award at the event:
Here's a walkaround of "Grandpa Mayhem" in the Gingerman Raceway paddock - our 1993 Buick Park Avenue Ultra race car.
The night before the race, we each took a lap around the paddock to get a feel for the seat, controls, belts, hans device for the first time.
Here is some fairly boring in-car, on-track footage from the GoPro mounted to the rollcage:
Quick rundown on the car:
- We bought the car for $200, transmission started acting up
- Pulled the engine, installed a fresh craigslist motor
- Stripped the luxurious interior and all glass but windshield
- Fabricated full race-spec roll cage
- Installed aluminum race seat and harnesses
- Cut springs on all four corners
- Drilled and slotted brake rotors, performance pads
- Added larger wheels with some sponsored Chinese tires
- Removed exhaust, added a side pipe
- Smaller pulley on the supercharger to increase boost
- Mesh grill, LED headlights
- Charger louvers on doors
- Mopar-style hood scoop supported at center with stack of nuts
Some on-track footage shot by the event: